50621 (L&YR 1008, LMS 10621 & BR 50621)

50621.jpg

50621 was built at Horwich in February 1889 at a cost of £2,182 as L&YR number 1008. It was the first engine to be built at Horwich works. It remained in the form in which it was built for all of its working life. After the formation of the LMS it was renumbered 10621 before becoming 50621 following the nationalisation of the railways and the establishment of BR.

In 1926 it was tried out on the London suburban services whilst based at Kentish Town but soon returned to its home territory.

During its BR ownership 50621 was based at Manningham, Bradford from May 1948 until it was withdrawn from service in September 1954. Prior to this it had spent some time based at Normanton depot. By the time it was withdrawn from service it had covered 1,506,294 miles.

It was restored to L&YR livery in 1958.

The first of the class, 1008 is preserved as a static exhibit in the National Railway Museum at York. It is the only 2-4-2T preserved in Great Britain.

 

Home Base Current Status Owner
National Railway Museum – York Static display National Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1976-7003}

50621 Tyseley 1971.jpg 50621 at Tyseley-1971
50621 York 2013.jpg 50621 in the National Railway Museum at York-2013

Back to 2P  Between 50621 & 50899 plus 10897  2-4-2T  L&YR  Aspinall  Class 5

Back to LMS

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection