68633 (GER 87, LNER 7087, LNER 8633 & BR 68633)

68633.jpg

68633 was built as GER 87 at Stratford Works in September 1904 and allocated to Stratford motive power depot for working on the Liverpool Street suburban services. It remained at Stratford until August 1960 when it was transferred to Parkeston from where it was withdrawn from service in November 1960.

It was built as part of a batch of 20 locomotives built in 1904 as GER class S56 which were later classified as J69/1 by the LNER. In 1939 it was fitted with a vacuum ejector for train braking.

68633 was identified as an engine that should be preserved as part of the National Collection. Initially it was located in the Clapham Transport Museum which opened in the 1960s but was moved to the National Railway Museum at York when that opened in 1975.

In 2013 the locomotive was moved to the Bressingham Steam Museum where it remains on static display.

Home Base Current Status Owner
Bressingham Steam Museum On static display National Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1975-7003}

68633 York 2005.jpg 68633 next to broad gauge locomotive North Star. National Railway Museum at York-2005
68633 Bressingham 2014.jpg 68633 in Bressingham Steam Museum-2014

Back to J67 & J69

Back to LNER

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection