Built at Swindon Works in February 1932 at a cost of £5,161.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|September 1956||Chester (GWR)|
|February 1958||Pontypool Road|
|October 1961||Ebbw Junction|
|August 1962||Severn Tunnel Junction|
|July 1963||Pontypool Road|
The locomotive ran as 9303 until June 1958 when it was overhauled and the front end lightened and was then renumbered 7325.
During its working life the locomotive was noted on services between Ruabon and Barmouth, South Wales to Shrewsbury coal trains and Birmingham Moor Street to south coast holiday reliefs where it was noted as far south as Redhill.
It was withdrawn from Pontypool Road shed in April 1964 and sold for scrap to Woodham Bros of Barry in South Wales.
7325 was purchased by the Great Western (SVR) Association for preservation in 1974 and has run on the Severn Valley Railway before requiring an overhaul. Currently stored in the Engine House at Highley on the SVR after having a period on static display at the Museum of The Great Western Railway Museum at Swindon.
It steamed again in 1992 and was certified to run on the mainline which it did during the 1990s.
9303 is one of the final batch of 342 locomotives built between 1911 and 1932. They were built with larger cabs and had a weight attached to the buffer beam to place more weight on the leading pony wheels. This was done to reduce the wear on the leading driving wheels. In 1958 the weight was removed from the buffer beam to give the locomotive more route availability. At the same time it was renumbered 7325. The plan is to replace the missing weight at the next overhaul so it can run as 9303.
In September 2018 the Severn Valley Railway announced that the locomotive would take its place in the queue awaiting overhaul ahead of 7819 Hinton Manor.
In March 2019 the locomotive was taken out of the Engine House at Highley and moved to Kidderminster carriage shed for storage.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Severn Valley Railway||Awaiting overhaul||Great Western (SVR) Association|