737 (SR A737, SR 1737 & BR 31737)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 31737-in-the-national-railway-museum-at-york-january-2016.jpg

31737 is part of the National Collection and is on display at the National Railway Museum at York.

It was built at Ashford in 1901, at a cost of £2,600, and remained in service until withdrawn in November 1956 from service at Guildford shed. By the time it was withdrawn it had completed 1,694,660 miles whilst in service.

In 1948 when it transferred to British Railways ownership it was based at St. Leonards.

BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.

Date ArrivedDepot
January 1948St Leonards
November 1949Dover Marine
November 1950Ramsgate
January 1951Faversham
March 1951Reading South
May 1954Tonbridge
November 1955Guildford

Following withdrawal from service in November 1956 it was stored for preservation at Ashford Works and later at Tweedmouth before being restored in 1960 and placed in the original railway museum at Clapham.

During its working life it carried various numbers including A737 to denote that it was an Ashford Locomotive.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
National Railway Museum – YorkStatic displayNational Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1975-7006}

31737 passing Wivelsfield with the Hastings portion of a through train to Birkenhead – May 1955
31737 at Ashford – March 1957
31737 in Clapham Museum – November 1968
31737 in the National Railway Museum at York – January 2005
31737 in the National Railway Museum at York – July 2013
31737 in the National Railway Museum at York – January 2016

Back to D  0-4-0  SECR  Wainwright  

Back to SR

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection