75078 was built at Swindon in January 1956 and as it was one of the batch of locomotives built for use on the Southern Region it was fitted with a BR1B tender which had a capacity of 4,725 gallons. This was because there were no water troughs on the Southern Region.
It was equipped with a double chimney in October 1961 whilst being overhauled at Eastleigh.
Motive power depot allocations.
|January 1956||Exmouth Junction|
|March 1963||Nine Elms|
75078 was withdrawn from service in July 1966 and sold to Woodham Brothers for scrap. It arrived at Barry in November 199 and stayed there until removed for preservation in June 1972. At the time of withdrawal, it had run for 360,000 miles on BR track.
It was purchased by the Standard 4 Locomotive Preservation Society Ltd in 1972 and arrived at Haworth on the Worth Valley Railway (now the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway) in June of that year. Restoration work started straight away and 75078 steamed again in February 1977. The cost of the restoration was a modest £10,000.
In 1978 75078 ventured onto the BR main line to turn on the Shipley triangle.
Also in 1978 it appeared in the film Yanks.
In 1985 it was taken out of service for overhaul having achieved the highest mileage on the line of any of the home fleet. 75078 was back in revenue earning traffic in 1988 until it was withdrawn again in the late 1990s for a long term overhaul.
75078 returned to traffic again in February 2015. The cost of the overhaul was said to be £250,000.
It was reported in January 2022 that it was hoped that the overhaul would be completed before June 2022 but it was not until then that the boiler was lifted back on to the frames.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Keighley & Worth Valley Railway||
|The Standard 4 Locomotive Preservation Society|