7827 Lydham Manor

7827.jpg

The locomotive was built in December 1950. Its first shed allocation was at Chester. It Conducted improved draughting tests in February 1954.

In the 1950s 7827 was used with 7828 to haul the royal train.

BR motive power depot allocations.

Date Arrived Depot
December 1950 Chester
August 1958 Oswestry
December 1963 Machynlleth
January 1965 Shrewsbury

7827 was withdrawn in October 1965 and acquired by Woodham’s, Barry in May 1966. 7827 was sold to the Dart Valley Railway and left the scrapyard in June 1970 and travelled by rail to Buckfastleigh . Restoration work was undertaken at Buckfastleigh and Newton Abbott and resulted in 7827 being steamed again in March 1973.

At this time it carried the Great Western Livery which it would never have carried while in mainline service, as it was built two years after the end of the Great Western Raiwlay (GWR). In 2011 Lydham Manor was re-introduced at the Churston Heritage Festival carrying British Rail all-black livery and bearing the temporary nameplates Torquay Manor for the festival.

7827 is owned by and based on the Dartmouth Steam Railway but has been on loan to other heritage railways/centres including, Didcot Railway Centre, South Devon Railway and the West Somerset.

It currently has a boiler certificate which expires in 2021.

Home Base Current Status Owner
Darmouth Steam Railway Operational Darmouth Steam Railway
7827 Lydham Manor in Woodham's scrapyard at Barry - October 1968  a.jpg 7827 Lydham Manor in Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry – October 1968 a
7827 at Paignton-2016.jpg 7827 Lydham Manor at Paignton on the Dartmouth Steam Railway-2016
7827a.jpg 7827 Lydham Manor at Paignton on the Dartmouth Steam Railway-2016

Back to 7800 class

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives