80080

80080.jpg

80080 was built at Brighton in March 1954. It was based on the Eastern Region working on the London, Tilbury and Southend Line (LT&S) working commuter services out of London until that route was electrified in 1962.

Motive power depot allocations.

Date Arrived Depot
March 1954 Plaistow
May 1954 Tilbury
July 1962 Croes Newydd

It was withdrawn from service in July 1965 whilst based at Croes Newydd which by this time was a London Midland Region after being transferred from the Western Region in September 1963.

80080 was then sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry. It arrived at Barry in January 1966 and it remained there for the next fourteen years during which time it suffered the ravages weather, metal thieves, and later preservationists removing parts. When the locomotive was purchased in the autumn of 1980 all non-ferrous and motion parts were missing and it was no more than a skeletal hulk.

80080 was purchased for restoration in 1980 and moved to Matlock in November of that year but was moved to the Midland Railway at Butterley thee years later for restoration.

It returned to steam in 1987 and was passed for mainline running which it undertook until December 1997 by which time it had clocked up 37,000 miles.

80080 being originally used on London Underground steam on the met trips in 1990. In 1991 steam was to return to the Folkestone Harbour branch with 80080 taking the train down from the mainline to the station at Folkestone Harbour and then for the journey back up to the mainline 80080 was used to bank West Country pacific 34027 Taw Valley.

80080 also became the first steam engine to work a normal stopping passenger service on the mainline for over a quarter of a century back in March 1993, it worked for over a week on the Settle and Carlisle line working from Carlisle to Kirkby Stephen and back. It also returned to the famous Cambrian network in 1992.

80080 returned to steam following an overhaul in November 2010 and shortly afterwards was hired to the East Lancs Railway. In December 2016 the locomotive returned to the West Shed of the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust where it will undergo some engineering work after failing its annual boiler inspection.It is understood that three of its superheater flue tubes failed.

It was expected that the locomotive would return to the East Lancs Railway in March for an initial two year hire period. By June 2018 the boiler had been replaced on the frames of the locomotive.

Home Base Current Status Owner
Midland Railway Centre with long term loan to the East Lancs Railway Under overhaul at Butterley Midland Railway Centre
80080 Bury 2011.jpg 80080 at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2011
80080 with 71000 Burrs 2011.jpg 80080 with 71000 Duke of Gloucester at Burrs Country Park on the East Lancashire Railway-2011
80080 Burrs 2012a.jpg 80080 at Burrs Country Park on the East Lancashire Railway-2012
80080 Irwell Vale 2013.jpg 80080 at Irwell Vale on the East Lancashire Railway-2013
80080 Irwell Vale 2013a.jpg 80080 at Irwell Vale on the East Lancashire Railway-2013
80080 Bury 2014.jpg 80080 at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2014
80080 Heywood 2014.jpg 80080 at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2014
80080 Bury 2014.jpg 80080 at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2014-2014
80080 Bury 2014a.jpg 80080 at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2014-2014
80080 Bury 2015.jpg 80080 at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2014-2015
80080 Ramsbottom 2015.jpg 80080 at Ramsbottom on the East Lancashire Railway-2014-2015
80080 Ramsbottom 2016.jpg 80080 at Ramsbottom on the East Lancashire Railway-2014-2016

Back to 4MT  80000-154

Back to BR

Back to Locomotives