Cape Government Railway (South Africa)  4-8-0 – 390

390.jpg

This locomotive (number 390) was built in 1896 by Sharp Stewart & Co in Glasgow as part of an order for six engines for the Cape Government Railway. In 1910 the Cape Government Railway was absorbed into South Africa Railways and it was renumbered SAR 993.

In 1971 it was purchased by Zambesi Sawmills Railway where it operated until that railway ceased operations in 1973. In 1974 the locomotive was given to David Shepherd. It arrived back in Britain at Salford Docks in March 1975 after which transported the Whipsnade & Umfolozi Light Railway.

Over the following years it was moved to the East Somerset Railway and then arrived at the British Empire & Commenwealth Museum at Bristol in 2003.

In 2004 David Shepherd donated the locomotive to the National Railway Museum along with a Rhodesian Railway coach.

Between 2008 and 2012 it was cosmetically restored at Tyseley before going on display at the National Railway Museum at Shildon in 2012.

 

Home Base Current Status Owner
Locomotion – National Railway Museum at Shildon On static display National Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{2005-7445}

Cape Govt.jpg 390 in Locomotion at Shildon-2016

National Railway Museum Collection

Back to Locomotives