This locomotive was built in 1898 by E Borrow & Sons and was originally used at the Smelting Corporation Ltd, Ellesmere Port where it was given the number 4.
Around 1907 it was sold to Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co Ltd at Wallsend in Northumberland. There it became No.3 and was fitted with oil-firing in 1959
In December 1968 it was given to Newcastle University Railway Society and stored on site before moving to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in March 1969.
In May 1981 (now owned by the Friends of No.3) the locomotive was moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill.
In late 2016 it left the Tanfield Railway.
By the summer of 2020 the locomotive was being restored at the Flour mill at Bream in the Forest of Dean.