In 1857 Fletcher, Jennings & Co took over the business of Tulk and Ley at Lowca near Whitehaven in Cumberland (now Cumbria).
From this time until 1884 the firm concentrated on making four and six coupled tank locomotives for industrial use.
By 1884 the company had built 171 locomotives when Henry Fletcher retired and the company acquired limited liability as Lowca Engineering Co.
In 1905 the name changed to the New Lowca Engineering Company Ltd but by 1912 after a disastrous fire production ceased.
The company was wound up in 1927 after producing 245 locomotives including 20 by Tulk and Ley.
Although only one standard gauge locomotive built by Fletcher Jennings & Co has been preserved a number of narrow gauge locomotives are still active including Talyllyn and Dolgoch which date from 1864 and 1866 and are based on the Talyllyn Railway.
|158||1877||No 3 Baxter||0-4-0T||Bluebell Railway|