Hetton Colliery  0-4-0  –  Lyon 

Lyon or Lyons is thought to have been built by the colliery in 1851 or 1852 and it is considered that it was that it was made by an engineer called Young.

It was extensively rebuilt in 1882 and continued in service until around 1910.

It has worked out its last days at the Colliery driving machinery in the pit sawmill.

In 1925, the Stockton and Darlington Railway celebrated its centenary. The LNER organised a cavalcade of locomotives to commemorate this. Lyons was steamed and ran under its own power.

The locomotive became part of the initial collection of the National Railway Museum at York. In 1974 it was loaned to the new Beamish Museum where it was initially displayed in the Colliery and latterly at the Waggonway, together with working replicas of contemporary locomotives.

In 2006 it was moved to the Locomotion museum at Shildon, but returned to Beamish in May 2011.

Home Base Current Status Owner
Beamish Museum On static display National Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1978-7009}

National Railway Museum Collection

Back to Locomotives