Hetton Colliery 0-4-0 Lyon


Power Classification
Introduced1822 or 1857
DesignerGeorge Stephenson & Nicholas Wood
CompanyHetton Colliery
Weight9t 15cwt
Driving Wheels3ft 0ins
Boiler Pressure80psi
Cylinders10¼in x 24in
Tractive Effort
Valve Gear

Incorporating ‘Locomotion’ type technology this locomotive is popularly assumed/claimed to have been built in 1822 by George Stephenson and Nicholas Wood, which is coincident with the completion of the Hetton Railway. This is however disputed and it may have been built or significantly rebuilt from an earlier locomotive in 1857 at the behest of Sir Lindsay Wood, son of Nicholas Wood. The engineer thought to have undertaken this task was called Young.

It was withdrawn in 1912 and also ran at the 1925 Stockton and Darlington Railway centenary.

It was one of the engines built to work the eight mile line between the colliery and the coal staithes on the River Wear.

It was rebuilt in 1882 when it acquired new frames and boiler.

It was withdrawn from service in 1912.

In 1925 it was steamed to head the procession of engines at the Darlinton Centenary Exhibition.

This locomotive was exhibited in the LNER Queen Street Railway Museum in York from its opening in 1927. It was stored at Reedsmouth during The Second World War.

In 1974 it was loaned to the new Beamish Museum where it was initially displayed in the Colliery and latterly at the Waggonway, together with working replicas of contemporary locomotives.

In 2006 it was moved to the Locomotion museum at Shildon, but returned to Beamish in May 2011 for a period before returning to Shildon.

In April 2019 the National Railway Museum revealed that an archaeological survey of the locomotive was going to be undertaken. They went on to say that despite having been in preservation since the 1920s very little is known about it.  

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
National Railway Museum -Locomotion at ShildonOn static displayNational Railway Museum NRM Object Number{1978-7009}
Hetton Colliery in Locomotion at Shildon – 2010
Hetton Colliery Lyon at Shildon – August 2019

Back to First Generation Locomotives

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection