This locomotive was built in 1950 by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
The locomotive was purchased by the National Coal Board (NCB) and started its working life off at NCB in 1950 at Haydock Colliery.
It moved to Cronton Colliery near Knowsley in April 1951 where it remained until it moved to Bold Colliery near St Helens in 1961. It remained in service at Bold Colliery for twenty years so will have been there when 150th anniversary of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and the Rainhill Trials used the extensive sidings at Bold in 1980. The locomotive took part in the Rainhill parade – its first trip on the main line.
After being saved for preservation the locomotive was moved to the Foxfield Railway in 1983.
In 1999 it took part in a phot charter at Allied Steel and Wire’s Tremorfa Works in Cardiff.
It has operated on the railway with a break for a ten year overhaul which was completed in July 2010. It is currently operational.