This locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn in 1951 and was delivered new to the Meaford Power Station at Barlaston near Stone. Here it ran as Meaford No 2. The design of the locomotive was the then standard for locomotives supplied to the British Electricity Authority which became the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) in 1957. The requirement was for a locomotive that could haul a 1,000 ton load from the BR exchange sidings to the coal tippers.
In October 1951 the locomotive was moved to Nechells Power Station in Warwickshire and became Nechells No 4. It spent the rest of its working life at Nechells from where it was withdrawn from service in June 1972 when steam operations ceased.
The locomotive was acquired by the Shackleton Railway Society who are based on the Battlefield Railway along with Nechell No 3 (RSH Works No 7537).
The locomotive was moved to the Battlefield Railway in June 1973 and restored to steam in 1995.
In July 1996 the locomotive was moved to the Foxfield Railway where it ran in the green livery of Meaford as Meaford No 2.
Around 2010 the locomotive moved to the Chasewater Railway where it ran for a number of years. It is now stored awaiting an overhaul.
The boiler certificate expired in 2015.
In October 2018 the locomotive moved from the Chasewater Railway to the Great Central Railway following the locomotive being sold. The locomotive will be based on the Great Central Railway where it is expected to be fully overhauled.