This locomotive was built in 1949 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn and supplied new to work at Nechells Power Station which was owned by the British Electricity Authority. Ownership passed to the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) in 1957.
The locomotive spent all of its working life at the Nechell site as Nechell No 3.
The locomotive design was popular for use at large power stations where there was a requirement for locomotives capable of taking over a 1000 ton train from a BR locomotive for the final stage of its journey to the coal tipplers. It was normal for two locomotives to be in steam daily. Duties not only included the delivery of coal and removal of empty wagons, but also the removal of the waste ash.
The CEGB had a new firebox manufactured at Hunslet in the late 1960’s. This was made from thin plate to improve heat transfer and has now worn out.
In 1972 the locomotive was acquired by the Shackleton Railway Society who are based on the Battlefield Railway along with Nechell No 4 (RSH Works No 7684).
The locomotive ran on the Battlefield Line as Thomas the Tank Engine before being taken out of service for an overhaul.
The locomotive is currently being overhauled and the boiler is off site for re-tubing and a new firebox.
|7537 on the Battlerfield Railway – August 1988|
|7537 at Shackerstone – May 2010|