This locomotive was built in 1952 for the Ministry of Defence by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
See LNER class J94 for details.
It was employed at by the Army at Long Marston and Bicester before being used by the Royal Engineers at Shoeburyness in 1968.
By 1973 the locomotive was to be found on a plinth on a short piece of track on the trackbed of the old Colne Valley & Halstead Railway. This was the base of the Colne Valley Railway which at that stage was undeveloped.
After being in service in the early 2000s the locomotive returned to traffic in September 2012 after undergoing an overhaul lasting five years.
It is currently operational on the Colne Valley Railway.
|3790 on the Colne Valley Railway – May 2017|