See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive was built in 1953 for the Ministry of Defence by the Hunslet Engine Company to the design used to supply to the Ministry of Defence and is thus regarded as an Austerity type locomotive.
It was delivered new to the Army at Bicester as WD 193 but by July 1953 it was placed in store there. By 1955 it was based on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire (S&M) Light Railway based at Kinnerley.
In March 1960 it worked a Stephenson Locomotive Society special last train over the S & M. In June 1960 it moved to Arncott workshops at Bicester. During the 1960’s it was kept at Long Marston (mainly in store).
It was purchased by the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) and moved there in August 1971 after being declared surplus by the MOD.
After being repainting green it was named Shropshire in 1977 and repainted in crimson lake livery.
It was then loaned to the 6000 Locomotive Association at the Bulmers Railway Centre at Hereford and travelled there under its own steam, along with 4930 Hagley Hall and 45000, in January 1981. The move to Hereford was made permanent in late 1983 when the SVR Board announced that it had been sold.
The locomotive was the purchased privately and in April 1984 it was moved to Peak Rail at Buxton. It was was considered to be too large for the short length passenger shuttles that were in operation then so it was sent on loan to the Llangollen Railway in May 1985.
At Llangollen it had it’s blue asbestos boiler lagging removed and was re-tubed and overhauled in 1986 before returning to traffic at Easter 1987.
The locomotive returned to Peak rail in March 1989.
In October 1989 it moved to the East Lancs Railway where it was used the following year. After this it was hired out or loaned for short periods to a number of locations including the Churnet Valley Railway, Steamport at Southport and the Appleby Frodingham Railway Preservation society at Scunthorpe.
It then spent most of its time at Southport , where it was used on a regular basis until it’s boiler ticket expiry in 1997. The locomotive moved to the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in April 1969 following the closure of Steamport.
It was stored for some time before work was started on a ten year overhaul which is ongoing at the Ribble Steam Railway.