This R2 class locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1915 to work at the Yates Duxbury & Sons papermill at Heap Bridge near Bury.
It is one of three locomotives that was employed there on the line which connected to what is now the East Lancashire Railway line from Bury to Heywood. All three locomotive have been preserved. Peckett & Sons 1159 Annie is one of the other two.
1370 worked at Heap Bridge but by 1970 it had become the spare engine as the steam brakes had failed.
It was withdrawn for preservation in the 1970s and spent some time at Bryn Engineering near Wigan where it was restored.
It is now owned by The Jubilee Locomotive Co and based on the East Lancashire Railway.
The locomotive no longer carries the name May.
During 2018 and 2019 the locomotive was on hire to Beamish Museum.
In September 2019 the locomotive left Beamish for an overhaul at a private site.
In December the locomotive returned to Beamish following undergoing a rapid overhaul.