The plate on the locomotive states that it was built by R Heath & Sons Ltd at Biddulph Ironworks in Stoke on Trent in 1886. It is thought to be a copy of Loughborough based Falcon Engine and Car Works (later Brush Electrical Engineering Co) locomotive that the company had acquired.
The locomotive was rebuilt in 1934 by Cowllishaw Walker Engineering Co Ltd who were based in Biddulph and took over the workshops of Norton and Biddulph Collieries in 1930.
It spent its industrial working life at North Staffordshire collieries operated by Robert Heath & Sons. It continued to be employed by the National Coal Board (NCB) following the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947. Under the NCB it worked at Norton (Stoke-on-Trent) Colliery until it was withdrawal from service at the end of the 1960s.
The locomotive eventually found a home at Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum. It was loaned for exhibition to the 1986 National Garden Festival at Stoke on Trent.
When Chatterley Whitfield closed in 1993, the locomotive found a new home at the Foxfield Railway.
The locomotive has steamed in preservation and is currently undergoing an overhaul.
|6 at the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum|
|6 at Blythe Bridge on the Foxfield Railway – October 2007|