This locomotive was built by Sentinel in 1946 for the Sheffield Corporation Electricity Department where it became No 1 Neepsend 2.
The name Neepsend relates to an area in Sheffield where the Neepsend Power Station was built in 1902 and operated until the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) built new power stations on the River Trent. Needsend was decommissioned in 1976.
The locomotive was purchased in 1974 by Philip Wainwright when it was ready to be scrapped by the CEGB.
During the summer of 1975 the locomotive was frequently used as a statin pilot at Loughborough on the Great Central Railway.
The locomotive then appears to have spent some time based at the Midland Railway Centre and is recorded as being there in the first Guide & Stockbook issued by the Midland Railway Centre published around 1982.
In April 2011 the locomotive returned to the Great Central Railway from the Midland Railway Centre.
The locomotive is currently stored whilst it awaits an overhaul.
|9370 at the Great Central Railway – September 2010|