The works which was to become the South Durham Steel & Iron Co Malleable Iron Works was first opened in 1860.
In 1898 Christopher Furness, in association with Mr. W. C. Gray, of West Hartlepool, purchased the Moor Steel and Iron Works, of Stockton-on-Tees, the Stockton Malleable Iron Works, and the West Hartlepool Steel and Iron Co, which were converted into a single undertaking, the South Durham Steel and Iron Co (Limited).
In 1924 the company acquired the East Coast Steel Corporation to protect the company’s supplies of molten steel and land adjacent to the malleable works for expansion.
In 1967 the company became part of British Steel.
|1900||Malleable No 5||0-4-0ST||Beamish Museum|