This locomotive was built in 1949 by the Yorkshire Engine Company and spent its working life at Working for the National Coal Board (NCB) at South Kirkby Colliery near Wakefield Yorkshire.
South Kirkby Colliery was sunk in 1881 to tap into the Barnsley Bed seam which was the best steam coal in Yorkshire. After Nationalisation, the NCB bored Riddings Drift on the same site, to mine the shallower seams and both operations were still going in 1975, when this locomotive was put up for sale. The colliery, it closed in 1988.
The locomotive arrived at the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway in 1975.
It remains at the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway where it has been out of use and covered by a tarpaulin for some years.
A new owner for the locomotive was found recently and it is planned to start work on restoring it.
|2474 on the Yorkshire Dales Railway freshly arrived from South Kirkby Colliery – October 1975|