30825 was built at Eastleigh in 1927 and ran until withdrawn from service in January 1964 and sent to Woodham Brothers at Barry for scrap. It stayed there until 1986. Since the nationalisation of the railways in 1948 30825 spent its first two years based at Exmouth Junction before being moved to Salisbury in June 1951.
In 1994 30825 was cannibalised by the North Yorkshire Moors and Mid Hants Railways for spares. This included using the frames from 30825 to restore 30841 with the resulting locomotive becoming 30825. The boiler and tender now being used by 30825 were thus donated by 30841.
It is owned by the Essex Locomotive Society and based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway where it is currently being overhauled following the expiry of the boiler certificate in 2013.
As of December 2016 it was anticipated that the locomotive would be returned to steam in the autumn of 2017. This proved to be optimistic with the summer of 2018 being the revised forecast. The boiler overhaul was undertaken at the Essex Locomotive Society’s Scarborough site and the boiler returned to the NYMR in March 2018. The frames of the locomotive were ready to receive the boiler at that time.
It was expected that the locomotive will be back in service during 2018 but this later looked unlikely as it was not until November 2018 that the boiler passed the out of frames test.
The boiler was fitted back into the frames in early 2019 and an in-frame hydraulic test had been undertaken which started the clock on the ten year boiler certificate.
The locomotive moved again under its own steam in August 2019.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Operational||Essex Locomotive Society|
- 30499 (LSWR 499, SR E499, SR 499 & BR 30499)
- 30506 (LSWR 506, SR E506, SR 506 & BR 30506)
- 30828 (SR 828 & BR 30828)
- 30830 (SR 830 & BR 30830)
- 30841 (SR 841 & BR 30841)
- 30847 (SR 847 & BR 30847)