32650 was built in 1876 as 50 Whitechapel and rebuilt as a class A1X in 1920.
It was transferred to the Isle of Wight Railway in 1930 as W9 Fishbourne. It returned to the mainland in 1937 when it was renumbered 515S and became the Lancing Works shunter. It later became DS515 and briefly converted to oil-burning and was returned to capital stock in 1953. As 32650 it was posted to Fratton to work the Hayling Island branch. Withdrawn in November 1963 following the closure of the Hayling branch.
BR motive power depot allocations.
- Fratton depot closed in November 1959 resulting in the transfer to Eastleigh.
50 Whitechapel was purchased by London Borough of Sutton and Merton in 1963 (after the originally intended purchase, No.61 Sutton, had been cut up). The intention was to display the engine outside the new Civic Centre, and the engine was offered a home on the K&ESR until the work was completed. The engine was restored and used to haul the opening train on the preserved K&ESR in 1974. After slipping down the overhaul queue at Rolvenden, the engine was moved to the Spa Valley Railway by the owners (the engine still being owned by Sutton Borough Council) and restoration work commenced.
The overhaul at the Spa Valley Railway progressed to a state where the locomotive was re-wheeled and work started on the boiler during 2018.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Spa Valley Railway||Under restoration||Sutton Borough Council|
- 31751 (LBSCR 54 Waddon, SR 1751, SR A751, BR 680S & BR 31751)
- 82 Boxhill (LBSCR 82 Boxhill, LBSCR 682 & SR 380S)
- 32636 (LBSCR 72 Fenchurch, SR B636, SR 2636 & BR 32636)
- 32640 (LBSCR 40 Brighton, IoW W11 Newport, SR 2640 & BR 32640)
- 32646 (LBSCR 46 Newington, LBSCR 646, Iow W2, IoW W8 Freshwater & BR 32646
- 32655 (LBSCR 55 Stepney, LBSCR 655, SR B655, SR 2655 & BR 32655
- 32662 (LBSCR 62 Martello, LBSCR 662, SR B662, SR 2662 & BR 32662)
- 32670 (LBSCR 70 Poplar, Rother Valley Railway 3 Bodian & BR 32670)
- 32678 (LBSCR 78 Knowle, LBSCR 678, SR B678, IoW W14 Bembridge, SR 2678 & BR 32678)