32662 was built at Brighton in 1875 as 62 Martello and subsequently rebuilt in 1912 to a class A1X locomotive.
It was first based in London for Suburban duties but by 1925 had moved to Fratton shed for use on the Hayling Island branch. It also worked later at Lancing and on the K & S E R. Other sheds where it spent time include New Cross, West Croydon, Lillehampton, Tunbridge Wells and Newhaven.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|September 1953||St Leonards|
One of No. 32662’s claims to fame – and perhaps the furthest west the diminutive locomotive ever worked before preservation – was on June 28, 1953 when it worked part of the Railway Correspondence & Travel Society 25th anniversary special with Adams radial tank 30583 (also now preserved) over the Lyme Regis branch in west Dorset.
32662 was withdrawn from service in 1963 and sold to Butlins at Ayr by which time it had recorded 1,505,955 miles in service. It was subsequently bought privately and went to Bressingham Steam Museum in 1971 where it remained for several years in a shed before removal for restoration which commenced in the late 1990s and resulted in 32662 steaming again.
In its Marsh Umber livery numbered 662 with LBSC on her tanks, it has visited several heritage railways in the UK since being returned to traffic. In May 2011 it was repainted in BR black as 32662 with the late BR logo, at Loughborough on the Great Central in readiness to join 32670 and 32678 on the K&ESR for the Last Train Commemoration that took place in 2011.
It is now at the Bressingham Steam Museum where following overhaul and passing its steaming tests in July 2016 it will be used on the museum’s quarter-mile demonstration line. It is now in Southern Railway green livery and carries the LBSCR number B662.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Bressingham Steam Museum||Operational||Bressingham Steam Museum Trust|
- 31751 (LBSCR 54 Waddon, SR 1751, SR A751, BR 680S & BR 31751)
- 82 Boxhill (LBSCR 82 Boxhill, LBSCR 682 & SR 380S)
- 32636 (LBSCR 72 Fenchurch, SR B636, SR 2636 & BR 32636)
- 32640 (LBSCR 40 Brighton, IoW W11 Newport, SR 2640 & BR 32640)
- 32646 (LBSCR 46 Newington, LBSCR 646, Iow W2, IoW W8 Freshwater & BR 32646
- 32650 (LBSCR 50 Whitechapel, LBSCR 650, SR B650, IoW W9 Fishbourne, SR 2650, BR DS515 & BR 32650
- 32655 (LBSCR 55 Stepney, LBSCR 655, SR B655, SR 2655 & BR 32655
- 32670 (LBSCR 70 Poplar, Rother Valley Railway 3 Bodian & BR 32670)
- 32678 (LBSCR 78 Knowle, LBSCR 678, SR B678, IoW W14 Bembridge, SR 2678 & BR 32678)