5227 was built at Swindon in 1924 and withdrawn from service at Cardiff East Dock shed in February 1963 having spent most of its working life based at Ebbw Junction shed.
In 1957 the locomotive took over at the front of a York to Swansea train when the engine hauling it failed at Llanwern, between Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport. 5227 took the train of 11 coaches on to Cardiff General.
The locomotive was withdrawn from service in 1963 after suffering from either a collision or having its boiler over filled, which caused the water to overflow into the cylinder and resulted in the left hand cylinder being blown off.
This locomotive was one of the “Barry Ten” and is essentially in scrapyard condition at the Didcot Railway Centre after arriving in 2013. (The “Barry Ten” were the last unsold locomotives at Woodham Brothers in 1990 when Dai Woodham retired. They were taken on by the Vale of Glamorgan Councilwhere they were stored for another twenty years in scrapyard condition before being sold).
The locomotive’s axleboxes are being used as part of the project to build a 4700 class 2-8-0 locomotive (4709) at Llangollen. The boiler is being used build a County class 4-4-0 (3840 County of Montgomery).
The rest of the locomotive has been reassembled and is now at Didcot in ex-Barry condition. It is on display in its current condition as a lasting reminder of Woodham Brothers scrapyard. It retains straight frames.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Didcot Railway Centre||Static display|| |
Great Western Society