5619 was built at Swindon built in 1925. During its employment under BR ownership in spent two years at Abercynon (The village was the terminus of the world’s first steam railway journey when on 21 February 1804 the inventor Richard Trevithick drove a steam locomotive hauling both iron and passengers travelled from the Penydarren ironworks in Merthyr Tydfil to the basin of the Glamorganshire Canal at Abercynon) before moving to Barry in 1950. It remained at Barry depot until withdrawn from service in June 1964.
5619 was originally purchased in 1972 by the Telford Development Corporation from Barry scrapyard for static display at Horsehay goods shed. Telford Horsehay Steam Trust, which was formed in 1976, decided to restore the locomotive to operational condition and it was first steamed again in 1981 making the Telford Horsehay Steam Trust the smallest railway to restore an ex Barry locomotive.
It ran at Horsehay and many other preserved lines until its boiler certificate expired in 1991. In 1998 lottery funding was obtained to allow a full overhaul to begin; refurbishment of the frames and fitting of the wheels, cylinders, side tanks and bunker were completed at Horsehay. Boilerwork and final reassembly of the locomotive took place at the Flour Mill workshop,Lydney. Returning to traffic after passing its final steam tests, it moved to the Avon Valley Railway for two weeks’ running-in in February 2008. After attending Telford Steam Railway Steam Gala in May 2008, it spent 2 years on hire at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway, moving to the North Norfolk Railway in March 2010.
In 2015 and 2016 the engine spent some time working on the Bodmin & Wenford Railway as well as paying a visit to the Churnet Valley Railway in early 2016.
In December 2016 5619 was hired to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley and it is expected to remain there until the autumn of 2017.
In 2017 the locomotive was painted in BR black livery as a result of funds being raised by photographers. At that time the boiler certificate was valid for about eight years as it was overhauled 18 months earlier.
In 2017 the locomotive was painted in BR black livery.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Hired to Midland Railway Centre||Operational||Telford Steam Railway but it is manged by Bill Parker of the Flour Mill|
|5619 heads a Midland Railway Trust service from Ironville to Swanwick and Butterley – April 2017|