62785 (GER 490, LNER 7490, LNER 7802, LNER 2785 & BR 62785)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 62785-in-bressingham-steam-railway-museum-may-2014.jpg

62785 was built as GER 490 at Stratford in January 1895.

Motive power depot allocations.

Date ArrivedDepot
 
As at 1923Norwich
February 1928Cambridge
January 1939Bury St Edmunds
May 1940Cambridge
December 1946Bury St Edmunds
February 1949Cambridge
November 1954Hitchin
April 1957Cambridge

Whilst based at Hitchin shed it had a spell of duty hauling the Henlow Camp trains on the Midland Railway tracks of the Bedford branch.

The last boiler that 62785 was fitted with was built at Stratford in 1944 and fitted to the locomotive in April 1954.

It was withdrawn from service in December 1959 when it was the last 2-4-0 locomotive in service on British Railways. The engine was then restored to GER livery and numbered 490 at Stratford Works before being placed on static display at the British Transport Museum at Clapham. It subsequently moved to the new National Railway Museum in York but is currently on loan to Bressingham Steam Museum.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
On loan to Bressingham Steam MuseumOn static displayNational Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1975-7002}

62785 at Haverhill on the Great Eastern Railway. The line closed in March 1967 - 1958.jpg
62785 at Haverhill on the Great Eastern Railway. The line closed in March 1967 – 1958
62785 in Clapham Museum - November 1968.jpg
62785 in Clapham Museum – November 1968
62785 in the British Transport Museum at Clapham - 1972.jpg
62785 in the British Transport Museum at Clapham – 1972
62785 in Bressingham Steam Railway Museum – May 2014

Back to E4

Back to LNER

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection