This class W6 locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons to work at Ironbridge Power Station in 1940 where it became Ironbridge No 3. Ironbridge No 1 (Works No 1803) had been was delivered by Peckett & Sons in 1933 and Ironbridge No 2 (Works No 1893) in 1936. All three were class W5 locomotives. all were registered to run over the GWR for shunting purposes and all three have been preserved.
Construction of the first Ironbridge Power Station (later to become known as Ironbridge A Power Station) began in 1929, and the first phase was completed in 1932. The full generating capacity of Ironbridge A was not realised until major expansions and the commissioning of extra boilers and generating sets had been completed in 1939. This gave the A Station a total generating output of 200 megawatts.
1990 remained at throughout its working career until it was retired in 1980. It was then sold to Steamport Museum at Southport. Steamport was based on the old Southport engine shed.
In 1985 the locomotive was purchased by the Telford Steam Railway and moved there.
The locomotive was restored at Horsehay on the Telford Steam Railway but now requires a new firebox and boiler overhaul.
|1990 at CEGB Ironbridge Power Station – January 1974|
|1990 at Horsehay on the Telford Steam Railway – April 2015|