This is one of the class R4-S locomotives built by Peckett & Sons in 1948 for the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) to work at Croydon Power Station B. The locomotives differed from the standard R4 class as they had to work in a restricted area where the coal wagons were tippled to unload. The loading gauge was reduced to 9 feet 10 inches compared with the 10 feet 8.5 inches of the standard locomotives so the cab roof was lower. All three locomotives have been preserved.
Planning for Croydon B started in 1939 but because of delays caused by the Second World War it did not open until 1950. Coal delivered to the site was shunted by the three Peckett locomotives (Works Nos 2103, 2104 and 2105). These three steam locomotives were superseded by diesels in the 1960s. 2104 and 2105 were set aside as spares until 1972, when they were sold off. 2103 never worked again after 1975 although an overhaul was begun in 1977 but it was never completed.
The power station closed in 1980 and in the following year 2103 was purchased from the CEGD by two Middleton Railway Trust members.
The locomotive remains based at the Middleton Railway where it is on display but not operational.