45000 (LMS 4500 & BR 45000)

45000.jpg

5000 was built at Crewe in 1935, at a cost of £7,062, and was initially the first numerically of its class. It however was not the first to be built because the Vulcan Foundry had turned out the first of their simultaneous order, 5020 in 1934. It also ceased to be the first numerically when 4800 was built in 1944, after the LMS ran out of available numbers after 5499 was built.

5000 was built with a low degree superheat domeless boiler.

5000 had 40000 added to its number to become 45000 after nationalisation in 1948 by British Railways.

BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.

Date Arrived Depot
January 1948 Rugby
January 1952 Speke Junction
February 1952 Rugby
March 1956 Crewe North
October 1956 Crewe South
June 1959 Holyhead
September 1959 Crewe South
June 1961 Carnforth
September 1961 Crewe South
June 1963 Holyhead
November 1963 Chester
May 1967 Lostock Hall

After withdrawal from Lostock Hall shed, near Preston in 1967, 5000 was selected to represent its 842-strong class as part of the National Railway Collection. Part of the reason for this was that it had a domeless boiler and was roughly in the condition as built. It was therefore painted in its original LMS lined black livery. However there had been changes over its lifetime and as a result there are numerous detail differences between 5000 as built and 5000 as preserved.

The mileage in service for this locomotive is not complete as around 1960 its mileage ceased to be recorded. By that stage it had completed 961,000 miles.

For some time 45000 was stored at Preston Park in Brighton for some time prior to going to the Severn valley railway. Whilst there it was on display at Brighton Station Open Day in 1974 along with M7 tank 30245, Beattie well tank 30587, 30850 Lord Nelson , Q1 class 33001, Battle of Britain 34051 Winston Churchill and diesel class 33 D6582.chimney. For the display an attempt had been made to make it appear that 45000 was in steam by burning newspapers in the chimney.

45000 arrived at the Severn valley Railway (SVR), on loan from the NRM during 1977, with the intention of being restored for main line working. Restoration was completed in 1979 and the locomotive entered service in LMS livery as 5000.

45000 took part in the grand parade at the Rocket 150 celebrations at Rainhill in May 1980. Other main line working was carried out from Steam Centres around the country, including the Bulmers Railway Centre at Hereford. Between 1979 and 1988 the locomotive accumulated 21,185 miles on the SVR and in the course of over twenty rail tours on the main line.

The locomotive failed a steam test at the start of the 1989 season, and was returned to the National Railway Museum in the spring of 1991 and went on static display at York.

 

Home Base Current Status Owner
Locomotion Shildon Static display National Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1978-7040}

45000 on Carlisle Kingmoor shed - August 1967.jpg 45000 on Carlisle Kingmoor shed – August 1967
45000 at Highley on the Severn Valley Railway - September 1987.jpg 45000 at Highley on the Severn Valley Railway – September 1987
45000 at Shildon 2016.jpg 45000 at Locomotion at Shildon-2016
45000 a.jpg 45000 & replica of Sans Pareil in Locomotion at Shildon-2016

Back to 44658-45499

Back to LMS 

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection